Can you feel it?
What: A web-based tool for creating asynchronous conversations in voice, video or text. Flash-based, free mobile app available for iOS only. Free accounts include ability to create up to 3 VoiceThreads, unlimited voice and text commenting, up to 30 minutes of webcam commenting.
Uses: Discussions, guest speakers, student-generated projects, mini-modules (upload a brief video followed by slides with prompts)
- Sharing through a VoiceThread Group which students have joined provides a secure asynchronous, rich media learning environment.
- VoiceThread offers site licenses with LMS and student information integration.
- Research (Pacansky-Brock, in press) shows that anxiety prevents community college students from trying the voice or video commenting in VoiceThread.
- To improve the percentage of voluntary voice comments:
- Ensure all students have access to a microphone, webcam, iPhone/iPad, or are set up with additional phone commenting minutes on VoiceThread (included with all instructor premium accounts).
- Demonstrate to students why voice participation matters in an online class. This relevancy is critical to buy-in. Consider sharing a VoiceThread in which students from past classes have left feedback for future students reflecting on their experiences.
- The first VoiceThread should be a low stake, social ice breaker in which the instructor leaves feedback for all students in either voice or video. In this VoiceThread, all students are required to comment in either voice or video (unless an accommodation has been made).
- In the VoiceThreads that follow, students should be granted the option to comment in voice, video, or text.
- This course design and facilitation strategy challenges students to try something new and dramatically decreases their anxiety by providing the opportunity experience voice commenting with all their peers and a supportive instructor.
(password for icons is treasure10!)
What: Canva is an online graphic design tool that gets you started with free, editable templates. Once you design an image on Canvas, you may download it and/or send a link to others that give them access to edit the image.
Uses: Banners for online courses and learning modules, avatars, infographics, custom thumbnails for YouTube videos.
- An instructional design team could use Canva to create a set of custom course design graphics for all online courses offered in particular department/school/campus. The set may include a welcome banner, a banner for each learning module, and a custom thumbnail for the instructor to upload into YouTube for each microlecture/video announcement. Once a template is created in Canva, it may easily be customized, downloaded, and sent to the instructor.
- For a course banner, start with a custom canvas size of 600x150; for a thumbnail for YouTube video canvas size should be 1280x720.
What: A robust, easy-to-use micro-publishing tool that offers free Pro educator accounts. With Populr, you can create a webpage about anything in five minutes. Extra cool bonus features in the free Pro educator account include:
- no branding
- embed videos, html code, and images too
- record video directly into the page from a webcam (no captioning option yet)
- password protection
- "enable following" (Click on "Options") gives viewers the option to sign up via email each time site is updated
- collaborate setting (click on "Publish Changes") gives others ability to edit your page
- optional clone-able setting
Uses: You name it! Create a humanized syllabus, a workshop resource page (like the one you are looking at!), a faculty website, beautiful guides to campus resources, gorgeous announcements for events!
- Support faculty by creating a template for a syllabus, course site, or faculty page that includes your campus logo and other critical institutional information. Make this site clone-able (using the clone feature) and share the link with faculty. This gives them a solid and consistent footing to start with and will result in more consistency across content.
- Click the button below to view Populr's fabulous Professor Bundle, which includes clone-able sites ready for instructor use!