How to Set Up Your Online Syllabus
The button titled "Syllabus" in the navigation bar of your Sandbox is set up as an "External Link" to enable you to create an online syllabus and link the "Syllabus" button directly to it.
If you already have a syllabus hosted online, skip to Step D below and follow the steps to link the button to your syllabus.
If you do not have an online syllabus, you may consider making a copy of one of the following Online Course Syllabus Templates that have been created for CSUCI faculty.
STEP A: Log into CI Docs
- Click here to log into CI Docs
- Return to this page
STEP B: Make a Copy of the Google Docs Online Course Template
- Preview Template #1 and #2 by clicking each of the buttons above. Decide which template you'd like to use as your own.
- Within the syllabus template of your choice, go to "File" and select "Make a copy."
- The Google Doc now opens in a new window and is titled "Copy of ..." This means the template is now your own document. The copy is now located in your Google Drive.
- Click the title in the upper left corner and customize it.
- As the instructions at the top explain, take time to customize the syllabus by editing all of the generic text within the document.
STEP C: Change the share settings on your online syllabus.
It's always important to change the Share settings on a new Google Doc, as the default setting is Private. If you share a link to a Private doc with your students, they will not be able to access the page.
- Click the blue "Share" button in the upper right corner.
- In the "Share with others" box, click "Advanced" in the lower right corner.
- Under "Who has access" click "Change" (located next to "Private")
- Select "Anyone with the link."
- Click "Save."
- In the Share settings box, you will see a url in the field titled "Link to share." Copy that link. Copy on a PC is: Control+C; Copy on a Mac is: Command+C.
STEP D: Link the "Syllabus" button in CILearn to your online syllabus.
- Sign into your online course.
- Click on the downward arrow to the right of the "Syllabus" button in the navigation bar.
- From the dropdown menu, select "Web link."
- Paste the URL for your online syllabus into the box (replacing the existing URL). Paste on a PC is: Control+V; Paste on a Mac is: Control+V.
- Click "Submit."
- Now when your students click on your"Syllabus" button, your syllabus will open in a new window/tab.