"My first online teaching experience was not satisfying. In my search to find a better way, I came across Michelle. She quite simple changed my teaching and my life! Because of her innovative use of technology and focus on nurturing student relationships, my courses are more rigorous, accessible and engaging. Michelle continues to demonstrate an ideology of sharing, which is rare in academia, based on rock-solid, student-centered pedagogy."
Lori Fuller Rusch
Professor of Art History
"No one in online instruction has touched more people or had a more positive impact than Michelle Pacansky-Brock. I took her @ONE Building Online Communities with Social Media course in 2012 and became DE Coordinator at Modesto Junior College later that year. What she taught me informs all of the professional development I have provided ever since, and I’ve trained over 200 faculty to teach online. She is the Superstar Faculty Trainer I try to emulate."
Michael Smedshammer, Ph.D.
Instructional Design Coordinator
Modesto Junior College
- A connected educator with 5,000+ followers and 10+ years of blogging experience
- 27 keynote/invited presentations
- Expertise in remote, untethered faculty development
- Designer & facilitator of CSU Channel Islands' Online Teaching Preparation Program (taught in Canvas)
- Coordinated adoption of CI's Humanizing Online Learning at 4 institutions
- Leader in building online faculty communities
- Host of Hangouts on Air series showcasing faculty innovators
- Coordinator of the @ONE Online Teaching Certification Program
- 17+ years in California public higher education (both CCC & CSU)
- 13 years as faculty
- 8+ years working remotely
- 14+ years’ online course design & teaching experience
- 8+ years' designing, developing & facilitating remotely delivered
online faculty development programs
- EdSurge Columnist
- Host of the HumanizED podcast
- Advisory Board, EDUCAUSE 7 Things to Read About
- Advisory Board, NMC Horizon Report, Higher Education ('14-15)
- ELI Conference Planning Committee ('15)
- Conference Chair, Online Learning Consortium (OLC)/MERLOT, 2015 Emerging Technologies for Online Learning Symposium
- Member of the California Education Technology Taskforce ('12)
- 2017. Best practices for teaching with emerging technologies. New York, NY: Routledge.
- 2015. Examining the effects of an eBook to support faculty who teach with VoiceThread: An action research study. (Doctoral dissertation).
- 2014. Learning out loud: Increasing voluntary voice comments in online classes. In Lowenthal, P., York, C., & Richardson, J. (Eds.), Online learning: Common misconceptions, benefits, and challenges. Nova Science.
- 2013. How to humanize your online class with VoiceThread. Smashwords.
- 2011 Educator Advancement Scholarship, Capella University
- 2010 Sloan-C Online Teaching Effective Practice Award
- 2009 Edublog Award
- 2007 Sloan-C Excellence in Online Teaching Award
- 2007 NISOD Teaching Excellence Award
- 1997, 1998 - UCR/California Museum of Photography’s History of Photography Fellowship
13 years of faculty experience (both full-time and part-time) in the CCC and CSU systems.
Faculty Mentor, Digital Innovation, @ONE (Online Network of Educators), California Community Colleges Online Education Initiative
- August 2017 - present
Lecturer, CSU Channel Islands (remote)
- 1/17 - 5/17 - EDUC 661: Advanced Teaching with Technology (online). Taught in Canvas.
- 8/15 - 12/15 - UNIV 349: Transfer Student Experience (blended)
Associate Faculty, Mt. San Jacinto College (remote)
- 6/11 - 5/15 - PHOTO 130: History of Still Photography (online)
Art History Instructor, Sierra College
1/02 - 5/09 (full-time); 8/99-5/00 (part-time)
- Department Chair from 2007-2009
- Designed and facilitated 5 face-to-face and 2 online art history courses
- Grew program enrollments by 40% through development of online courses
- Wrote new A.A. degree in Art History
- Member of the Distance Learning & Instructional Technology Committee
- Evaluated online and face-to-face courses
- Mentored part-time instructors
Remote Professional Development Experience
More than 8 years of experience designing, developing, and facilitating robust, remotely delivered professional development programs in support of the integration of technology into teaching and learning.
Online Course Facilitator
- Designed and facilitated Introduction to Online Teaching and Learning (2009-2011)
- Designed and facilitated Building Online Community with Social Media (2008-2013)
- Oriented new facilitators
- Presented desktop seminars
Online Teaching Certification Coordinator
- In partnership with the @ONE staff, designed the structure of the Online Teachign Certification Program
- Developed marketing materials, including videos, websites, and email correspondences
- Wrote program policies
- Served as liaison to CCC faculty throughout the state
- Recruited online mentors
Higher Education Learning Consultant
- In consultation with the Co-Founders and staff, designed programs and resources to improve the support for VoiceThread's higher education users
- Coordinated and hosted monthly webinar series
- Authored an eBook designed to support faculty with the implementation of VoiceThread in a pedagogical context
- 2017-2019 - Board Member, Directors of Educational Technology, California Higher Ed (DET/CHE)
- 2016-2018 - Advisory Board Member, 7 Things to Read about, EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative
- 2015 - How to Humanize Your Online Class, EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative, 4-week online workshop
- 2014 & 2015 - Advisory Board, NMC Horizon Report, Higher Education
- Online Learning Consortium (OLC) Emerging Technologies for Online Learning Symposium
- 2015 - Conference Chair
- 2014 - Conference Chair-Elect
- 2011-14 - Steering Committee Member
- 2009-11 - Track Chair
- 2012, Member of the California Education Technology Taskforce
- Share Your Stuff: Embracing Open Practices in Higher Education, with Michael McGarry and Jill Leasfstedt, DET/CHE Annual Conference, Costa Mesa.
- Creating a Culture of Excellence and Innovation in Online Education Without Getting Hungup On Accreditation and Regulations, Panel, DET/CHE Annual Conference, Costa Mesa, CA.
- Humanizing Online Learning for Social Justice and Equity (Panel Moderator), Online Teaching Conference (#CCCOTC), June, Anaheim, CA.
- Great Online Teachers Seminar, Pre-Conference Workshop, Online Teaching Conference (#CCCOTC), June, Anaheim, CA.
- Untethering Professional Development, with Jill Leafstedt, New Media Consortium (NMC), June, Boston, MA.
- Humanizing Learning with Digital Tools, Keynote, Spring Teaching and Learning Conference, Michigan State University, May, Lansing, MI.
- Untethering the Campus Workplace, with Jill Leafstedt and Michael Berman, workshop, OLC Innovate, April, New Orleans, LA.
- Straddling the Chasm, Featured Session, OLC Innovate, April, New Orleans, LA.
- Learning Out Loud, Keynote Lightning Talk, OLC Innovate, April, New Orleans, LA.
- Straddling the Chasm: Supporting Faculty in a Networked Era, Keynote, Lynda.com Higher Education Learning Summit, March, San Francisco, CA.
- Online Teaching Conference, (general session). Co-presenter with Katie Palacios. Humanizing Online Learning: a Framework for Facilitation and Course Design. June 17th, 2016. San Diego, CA.
- West Los Angeles College 2016 Tech Fair, (Keynote), Making Stuff: How Digital Media Can Improve the Relevancy of Education. May 25, 2016, Los Angeles, CA.
- University of Wisconsin System, Office of Professional and Instructional Development (OPID). (Keynote). Spring Conference. Humanizing Online Learning. April 14, 2016.
- Seattle Pacific University (Invited Speaker). Inclusivity in Online Education. March 31, 2016.
- CSU Media Common Interest Group, Making Stuff: How Digital Media Can Improve the Relevancy of Education. Online presentation. January 21, 2016.
- Moorpark College, Faculty Flex Day (Invited Speaker). Humanizing Online Learning. Online presentation. January 7, 2016.
- Loyola Marymount University, (Invited Speaker). Humanizing Online Learning. October 7th, 2015. Los Angeles, CA.
- National University Teaching Network (NUTN) Annual Conference, (Keynote). Straddling the Chasm: Rethinking Faculty Support. September 23, 2015. Savannah, GA.
- Course Redesign Institute, California State University Chancellor's Office. Invited speaker. Conversations in the Cloud: VoiceThread. June 26, 2015. Rancho Cordova, CA.
- Online Teaching Conference (Concurrent Session). How Teaching Online Changed Me (moderator of panel). June 29, 2015. San Diego, CA.
- New Media Consortium, Annual Conference. Conflicted Identities: Reconsidering the Roles of Faculty. June 11, 2015. Washington, D.C.
- New Media Consortium, Annual Conference. The Liquid Photograph. June 10, 2015. Washington, D.C.
- LinkedIn, Corporate Headquarters, (Keynote). The Fractal Life: Harnessing Social for Authentic, Agile Living. User Experience Design, All Hands Meeting, Mountain View, CA, July 2014.
- Rasmussen College, (Keynote). Risking It All: Learning in the Social Era. Rasmussen Academic Symposium North and South, Minneapolis, MN and Tampa, FL, June, 2014.
- Online Teaching Conference, (Concurrent Session). The Center: An
Online Learning Community for California's CC Faculty,
San Diego, CA, June, 2014.
- Online Teaching Conference, (Concurrent Session). Creating a Mobile-Friendly,
Humanized Syllabus with Populr.me. San Diego, CA,
- Skyline College, (Invited Speaker). How to Humanize Your Online Class: A Faculty Workshop. San Bruno, CA, May, 2014.
- Sloan-C International Emerging Technologies Symposium for Online Learning, (Invited Session). Learning Out Loud: Changing Student Mindsets About Voice Comments. Dallas, TX. April, 2014.
- Cuyahoga Community College, (Keynote). Teaching in The Dark: Learning to Love What We Fear. Tri-City EMerge Conference. Cleveland, OH, March, 2014.
- Technology Innovations & Pedagogy Conference (Keynote), Humanizing Learning with Emerging Technologies, Fresno State, Fresno, CA, January 13, 2014.
- State University of New York (SUNY) (Invited Speaker), How to Humanize Your Online Class. SUNY Learning Network Online Summit 2014. New York, NY, February, 2014.
- University of St. Louis, Missouri (UMSL), (Keynote). Humanizing Learning with Emerging Technologies. Teaching and Technology Conference, October, 2013.
- Sloan-C 6th Annual International Symposium of Emerging Technologies for Online Learning (Concurrent Session), How is Emerging Tech Reshaping the Future of Faculty Development?,
a collaboration with David Wicks of Seattle Pacific University and
Jason Rhode of Northern Illinois University, Las Vegas, NV, April, 2013.
- Nevada State College, (Invited Speaker). Provost Guest Speaker Series, Henderson, NV, February 2013.
- Mohave Community College, (Keynote), Why Can't You Just Lecture to Me? , Learning & Teaching with Technology Expo. Kingston, AZ, December 2012.
- Learning 2.0 (Keynote), Why Can't You Just Lecture to Me? Remote presentation, August 2012
- Sloan-C/MERLOT International Symposium for Emerging Technologies in Online Learning (Invited Speaker). VoiceThread: Small and Large-Scale Adoption Perspectives (presented with Matt Meyer from Penn State University, July 2012.
- The Online Teaching Conference (Concurrent Session). Learning Out Loud: How Voice Discussions Change the Online Learning Experience, San Jose City College, June 2012.
- Annual CUE Conference (Spotlight Speaker), How and Why I Flipped My Classroom; The Human Touch: Teaching with Video; Warm, Asynchronous Online Discussions with VoiceThread, Palm Springs, March 2012.
- Sloan-C International Conference for Asynchronous Learning Networks (Invited Panel Member), Ask the Experts: Effective Online Teaching Strategies, Orlando, FL, October 2011.
- The Online Teaching Conference (Keynote), Teaching in the Era of Participation, Orange Coast College, June 2011.
- The Online Teaching Conferend (Concurrent Session), Shifting the Rate My Professor Paradigm: Increasing Student Success with Google Sites, Orange Coast College, June 2011.
- Governors State University, (Keynote), Teaching in the Age of Participation, University Park, IL, June 2011.
- Ohio State University, (Keynote). Teaching in the Age of Participation. Innovate Conference, Cleveland, OH, April 2011.
- EduSoCal (Keynote), Painting, Power, & Pedagogy, Loyola Marymount University, May 2010.