A connected higher education leader committed to supporting the needs of 21st century faculty and students in California through the use of humanized online learning.
California Community Colleges
- 5 years' online professional development experience
- 10+ years' online teaching experience
- Conceptualized & coordinated The Center, an online professional development community for CCC faculty
- Showcased weekly CCC faculty innovations through live Hangouts on Air
- Designed and coordinated the @ONE Online Teaching Certification Program
- @ONE Online Teaching Mentor
- Developed A.A. degree in Art History
- Served as department chair
- Pacansky-Brock, M. (2015). Examining the effects of an eBook to support faculty who teach with VoiceThread: An action research study. (Doctoral dissertation).
- Pacansky-Brock, M. (2014). Learning out loud: Increasing voluntary voice comments in online classes. In Lowenthal, P., York, C., & Richardson, J. (Eds.), Online learning: Common misconceptions, benefits, and challenges. Nova Science.
- Pacansky-Brock, M. (2013). How to humanize your online class with VoiceThread. Smashwords.
- Pacansky-Brock, M. (2012). Best practices for teaching with emerging technologies. New York, NY: Routledge.
- 2011, Educator Advancement Scholarship, Capella University
- 2010 , Sloan-C Effective Practice Award
- 2009 Edublog Award
- 2007, Sloan-C Excellence in Online Teaching Award
- 2007, NISOD Teaching Excellence Award
- 1997, 1998 - UCR/California Museum of Photography’s History of Photography Fellowship
- 2015, How to Humanize Your Online Class, EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative, online workshop
- 2014 & 2015, Advisory Board, NMC Horizon Report, Higher Education
- 2015, Conference Chair, Online Learning Consortium/MERLOT, 8th Annual Emerging Technologies for Online Learning Symposium
Conference Chair-Elect, Sloan-C/MERLOT, 7th
- 2012, Member of the California Education Technology Taskforce
CSU Channel Islands
- Designed and facilitated a blended Digital Citizenship class from a distance in partnership with a co-teaching colleague
- The course is designed and taught in an open online environment.
Associate Faculty (online, part-time)
Mt. San Jacinto College
June 2011-May 2015
- Designed and facilitated an online course in the History of Still Photography
- Integrated the use of VoiceThread and student blogging to build community and improve student-student/instructor-student interactions
- Shared instructional micro-lectures with Creative Commons license on YouTube
Art History Instructor (full-time)
January 2002-May 2009
- Served as Department Chair from 2007-2009
- Designed and facilitated five face-to-face and two online art history courses
- Wrote and implemented new A.A. degree in Art History
- Grew art history enrollments by 40% through the development of an online art history courses
- Member of the Distance Learning & Instructional Technology Committee
- Evaluated online and face-to-face courses
- Mentored part-time instructors
Online Professional Development Experience
Online Course Facilitator,
- Designed and facilitated Introduction to Online Teaching and Learning (2009-2011)
- Designed and facilitated Building Online Community with Social Media (2008-2013)
- Oriented new facilitators
- Presented desktop seminars
Online Teaching Certification Coordinator,
- In partnership with the Co-Directors of @ONE, designed the structure of the Online Teachign Certification Program
- Developed marketing materials, including videos, websites, and email correspondences
- Wrote program policies
- Served as liaison to CCC faculty throughout the state
- Recruited online mentors
Higher Education Learning Consultant,
- In consultation with the Co-Founders and staff, designed programs and resources to improve the support for VoiceThread's higher education users
- Coordinated and hosted monthly webinar series
- Authored an eBook designed to support faculty with the implementation of VoiceThread in a pedagogical context
- Online Teaching Conference, (general session). Co-presenter with Katie Palacios. Humanizing Online Learning: a Framework for Facilitation and Course Design. June 17th, 2016. San Diego, CA.
- West Los Angeles College 2016 Tech Fair, (Keynote), Making Stuff: How Digital Media Can Improve the Relevancy of Education. May 25, 2016, Los Angeles, CA.
- University of Wisconsin System, Office of Professional and Instructional Development (OPID). (Keynote). Spring Conference. Humanizing Online Learning. April 14, 2016.
- Seattle Pacific University (Invited Speaker). Inclusivity in Online Education. March 31, 2016.
- CSU Media Common Interest Group, Making Stuff: How Digital Media Can Improve the Relevancy of Education. Online presentation. January 21, 2016.
- Moorpark College, Faculty Flex Day (Invited Speaker). Humanizing Online Learning. Online presentation. January 7, 2016.
- Loyola Marymount University, (Invited Speaker). Humanizing Online Learning. October 7th, 2015. Los Angeles, CA.
- National University Teaching Network (NUTN) Annual Conference, (Keynote). Straddling the Chasm: Rethinking Faculty Support. September 23, 2015. Savannah, GA.
- Course Redesign Institute, California State University Chancellor's Office. Invited speaker. Conversations in the Cloud: VoiceThread. June 26, 2015. Rancho Cordova, CA.
- Online Teaching Conference (Concurrent Session). How Teaching Online Changed Me (moderator of panel). June 29, 2015. San Diego, CA.
- New Media Consortium, Annual Conference. Conflicted Identities: Reconsidering the Roles of Faculty. June 11, 2015. Washington, D.C.
- New Media Consortium, Annual Conference. The Liquid Photograph. June 10, 2015. Washington, D.C.
- LinkedIn, Corporate Headquarters, (Keynote). The Fractal Life: Harnessing Social for Authentic, Agile Living. User Experience Design, All Hands Meeting, Mountain View, CA, July 2014.
- Rasmussen College, (Keynote). Risking It All: Learning in the Social Era. Rasmussen Academic Symposium North and South, Minneapolis, MN and Tampa, FL, June, 2014.
- Online Teaching Conference, (Concurrent Session). The Center: An
Online Learning Community for California's CC Faculty,
San Diego, CA, June, 2014.
- Online Teaching Conference, (Concurrent Session). Creating a Mobile-Friendly,
Humanized Syllabus with Populr.me. San Diego, CA,
- Skyline College, (Invited Speaker). How to Humanize Your Online Class: A Faculty Workshop. San Bruno, CA, May, 2014.
- Sloan-C International Emerging Technologies Symposium for Online Learning, (Invited Session). Learning Out Loud: Changing Student Mindsets About Voice Comments. Dallas, TX. April, 2014.
- Cuyahoga Community College, (Keynote). Teaching in The Dark: Learning to Love What We Fear. Tri-City EMerge Conference. Cleveland, OH, March, 2014.
- Technology Innovations & Pedagogy Conference (Keynote), Humanizing Learning with Emerging Technologies, Fresno State, Fresno, CA, January 13, 2014.
- State University of New York (SUNY) (Invited Speaker), How to Humanize Your Online Class. SUNY Learning Network Online Summit 2014. New York, NY, February, 2014.
- University of St. Louis, Missouri (UMSL), (Keynote). Humanizing Learning with Emerging Technologies. Teaching and Technology Conference, October, 2013.
- Sloan-C 6th Annual International Symposium of Emerging Technologies for Online Learning (Concurrent Session), How is Emerging Tech Reshaping the Future of Faculty Development?,
a collaboration with David Wicks of Seattle Pacific University and
Jason Rhode of Northern Illinois University, Las Vegas, NV, April, 2013.
- Nevada State College, (Invited Speaker). Provost Guest Speaker Series, Henderson, NV, February 2013.
- Mohave Community College, (Keynote), Why Can't You Just Lecture to Me? , Learning & Teaching with Technology Expo. Kingston, AZ, December 2012.
- Learning 2.0 (Keynote), Why Can't You Just Lecture to Me? Remote presentation, August 2012
- Sloan-C/MERLOT International Symposium for Emerging Technologies in Online Learning (Invited Speaker). VoiceThread: Small and Large-Scale Adoption Perspectives (presented with Matt Meyer from Penn State University, July 2012.
- The Online Teaching Conference (Concurrent Session). Learning Out Loud: How Voice Discussions Change the Online Learning Experience, San Jose City College, June 2012.
- Annual CUE Conference (Spotlight Speaker), How and Why I Flipped My Classroom; The Human Touch: Teaching with Video; Warm, Asynchronous Online Discussions with VoiceThread, Palm Springs, March 2012.
- Sloan-C International Conference for Asynchronous Learning Networks (Invited Panel Member), Ask the Experts: Effective Online Teaching Strategies, Orlando, FL, October 2011.
- The Online Teaching Conference (Keynote), Teaching in the Era of Participation, Orange Coast College, June 2011.
- The Online Teaching Conferend (Concurrent Session), Shifting the Rate My Professor Paradigm: Increasing Student Success with Google Sites, Orange Coast College, June 2011.
- Governors State University, (Keynote), Teaching in the Age of Participation, University Park, IL, June 2011.
- Ohio State University, (Keynote). Teaching in the Age of Participation. Innovate Conference, Cleveland, OH, April 2011.
- EduSoCal (Keynote), Painting, Power, & Pedagogy, Loyola Marymount University, May 2010.